Procrastination-The Killer to Business Success
Procrastination –Avoidance of doing a task which needs to be accomplished in place for a more pleasurable one? This is how the Wikipedia defines the meaning..
In my day to day journey helping business owners I define it as the “SHELF DUSTING SYNDROME” You may think that dusting is not pleasurable experience, but the point I make is that I find the tasks or jobs that NEED to be done are avoided and replaced with JOBS we THINK are important.IE: “We really need to clean the office” or my favorite “I really needed to check my E-Mails “
This avoidance can start at any age – I came home last week and caught my 15 year old son cleaning his room!! For a short moment I was proud (whose teenager son cleans his room without being asked?) after some poking I discovered that he should have been studying for an important test the next day. But in his view having a clean room was more important?
20% of people will identify that they are chronic procrastinators and is now part of their lifestyle. I believe we all avoid some things so maybe the other 80% are busy “Shelf Dusting “ and will think about it tomorrow J How do you identify a procrastinator? Well you will find that they avoid doing things in all aspects of their life, including not paying bills on time, late income tax returns or just leaving Christmas shopping to the last minute.
I have found, in studying and modeling successful business owners and leaders that 100% DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, if some things need to be done, it is done now and not left for later. Food for thought if you are struggling in your business.
MY 3# main reasons on WHY people procrastinate so much are around..
- The FEAR –
- The FEAR of FAILURE?
- The FEAR of Success?
- The FEAR of the consequence of DOING the task/Job?
- The FEAR of the consequence of NOT DOING the task/Job?
- If I don’t make a decision or don’t do the task I cannot be blamed for it
- Thrill seekers – I like the last minute rush to finish it..
- I work better under pressure ( NO one works better under pressure )
- I will do it tomorrow before the Deadline? (Tomorrow never comes?)
So what are my ways to overcome Procrastination?
- Be honest on why I am putting it off. Do I have FEAR? Will it be Beneficial or Detrimental to others?
- Commit to doing it ( to myself or someone else )
- Prepare – Outline or document how and when I will compete the task or job.
- Reward – I find that after I complete an important task (that I don’t like doing) I reward myself for a job well done. Could be an early day off work or taking my partner to dinner.
- AS Nike says – JUST DO IT
I hope this will help you all TAKE some action as I always say..
“Information without action is USELESS”
Stop procrastinating and reading this – NOW GO and do what you have been putting off!!
Marketing and Lead Generation Expert
P.S. Please remember that at any time you feel ready and qualified to move forward and acquire the professional help that can enable you to build the business of your dreams, just click here and check out my CEC Marketing System™. It’s helping small business owners just like you get the answers and the help they need to build the business they have always wanted.
I created the Marketing System with the perfect combination of online resources, tools and support to get you out of any financial distress you’re presently experiencing… help you get laser-focused on your highest income-producing activities… and help you develop and then apply the fundamentals that build multi million dollar businesses. click hereto see for yourself.